Saturday, July 13, 2013

Challenge: Eating Crab

When it comes to food and beverage, I am a person who knows what she likes. If you regularly have lunch or dinner with me at a specific location, chances are you'll soon be able to order for me, because I will have the same thing every time. As far as I'm concerned, it takes away the pressure of making decisions and you know, if you're on a good thing, why not stick to it? It's because of this that I rarely try new types of cuisine, especially when it's a situation that could leave me paying considerable amounts of money for something I might not like.

But, last night, a situation presented itself to me to try crab for the first time, a meat I had previously never had the balls to experience. And yes, I was a little wary of the idea, but my friend suggested we share it, and get the chicken as well in case I didn't like it. Feeling bold, I agreed to these terms.

When the meal came out, I was optimistic. There were obviously some very tasty herbs and spices flavouring the meat and the smell was delicious. My friend and I each picked up a piece of the animal and began approaching the task of eating it.

This was something that turned out be harder than expected.

Trying to break through the shell and into the edible part of the crab made me feel a bit like a caveman who has yet to discover tools. I pulled and prodded at the shell, eventually finding that the best method was to smash it apart with my hands and claw the meat out. Already, eating crab was starting to feel like a bit more trouble than it was worth.

When I finally got some meat, I found to be... ok. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't super tasty either. It was also incredibly rich, and the seafood flavour seemed to get stronger with every bite, meaning I liked it less and less as the meal went on.

Luckily, I wasn't particularly hungry and there was also some pretty decent fried chicken so I was able to let my friend eat the majority of the crab and no food went to waste. As far as it goes as an experience, although I had an excellent time at dinner, I have discovered that crab is not something I really particularly enjoy eating.
I rate eating crab probably a 3/10.
Would I do it again? Almost definitely not.

No comments:

Post a Comment