Monday, April 1, 2013

Challenge: Spiegeltent

The Spiegeltent has been popping up in Melbourne for several years now, and has always fallen into the category of things I meant to go to but always forgot about until it was gone. So, after convincing my sister and mum to go to a comedy festival show with me, when I noticed that Ali Mcgregor's Late-Nite Variety-Nite Night was on there, I figured that might be a good choice. Partly because Mum knew who Ali McGregor was (after a small amount of reminding), partly because the show offered variety and mostly because I like the name. AND IT WAS AT THE SPIEGELTENT. Finally, I could go!
This is a picture of Ali McGregor that also shows how happy I was to be going to the Spiegeltent.

The Late-Nite Variety-Nite Night featured four guests, as well as host Ali McGregor and her buttress Floxie McGinty (Virginia Gay). The first was standup comedian Matt Okine, who my sister and I liked enough to decide that we should go and see his show the next night. Next up was East-End Cabaret, who I liked enough that I would go and see their show if they were doing one in Melbourne. Although, hearing a song about how deflowering virgins is a terrible idea while sitting next to my mother was a new experience I possibly didn't need? Maybe next time that will be less uncomfortable. If that happens again.
I stole this photo from Ali McGregor's facebook page.

Burlesque act Agent Lynch was next, (sitting next to my mother while a lady is stripping to reveal a vagilaphone was another new experience). Finally, there was Dave Callan, who I have decided I should definitely go and see this festival. He danced to Beyonce. It was marvellous.
Between the guest spots, Ali sang some wonderful things, the highlight for me being the medley of Prodigy hits. If you have not heard her sing, here is a video of her singing a Blur song.


Virginia Gay, who was Ali's "buttress" (this may or may not be the correct term for a female butler, although I think the correctness of the term is probably irrelevant) throughout the show, was hilarious. Her face is just so delightfully expressive. She also had to earn her keep by singing a song, which had me in stitches.
Nutshell: A good way to see a variety of acts. Turns out the name of the show is an accurate description!
Rating: 10/10
Would I go again: Yes. I'd even take my mum again.

No comments:

Post a Comment